Monday, September 21, 2015

Inspiration? Anyone?




In line with my 'I will do this' post, here I am, showing up. (Cue crickets.)

I've written and deleted several awkward jokes. Even I didn't think they were funny. I know it's bad when I don't laugh. I'm used to my kids rolling their eyes and saying 'oh mom!' but I know I'm in trouble when I'm the one rolling my eyes. That's the problem with writing everyday for me. There are moments like this one. Moments when I'm forcing those words, making bad jokes, describing the color of a character's eyes for the third time... moments when I want to give up. 

I've used 'Write or Die' and the gentler, 'Written? Kitten' to force word count-- all of which end up useless because I fill it full to the brim with things like "I don't know what to write so I'm going to randomly type words. Cat. Sleep. Cute." And on it goes.  I've used 'Seventh Sanctum'  to generate fun plots or alien names or characters. I end up wasting time reading the funny comments. 

What's a woman to do? 

In terms of a novel, I've got that answer covered. An outline can lessen the awkward moments of not knowing what to do. An outline doesn't analiate lack of inspiration, but having an idea of where to go next helps. They aren't the answer to everything. I've still made my share of mistakes despite having a pretty detailed outline, but I can't imagine writing Asthore without one. 

Short stories are a whole different problem. With a novel, you take the idea and you explore and stretch and expand. A short story is all about getting in and back out with a clever twist. Each offer their own sets of challenges, but for me, the inspiration-lacking-little-time-to-write-between-loads-of-laundry- mom being a short story writer is particularly difficult. 

So, you writer buddies of mine out there, where do you find your inspiration? How do you push on and keep going? Or do you take a step back and try again later? 










3 comments:

  1. Awesome blog! I can honestly say, "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron changed my life as a writer. One of her methods, doing "morning pages" each day, has made a major difference for me. Worth a shot, if you haven't already checked it out. By the way, doing what you're doing, imho, just showing up, is the best place to start. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always happy to hear of great books on writing so I'll be sure to check it out. And you're right, showing up is a big part of the battle. Took me a while to figure that one out. ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Healing in Room Twenty

This story is a continuation of Doris Lessing's 'To Room Nineteen'. Lessing's powerful story is about a woman, Susan, who ...